Get connected to those around you; you have more in common than you think. The life giving blood is red in all of us. Don’t let your race, ethnicity, or partisan beliefs box you in. Lean in and learn how to use a shovel.
- Listen to others heartbeat and not just your own. The soul of the man makes the man not just what you see. You have to listen intently and intentionally to hear what you can not see.
- Say yes, and not yes, but. No one should want a yes person all the time but if you are going to say yes, don’t cancel it out by inserting your but (pone intended). If you say ‘yes, and’, you deepen the connection and allows the conversation to continue to so you reach a shared understanding. Plus, it shows you care enough to add (and) put some skin in the game.
- Be in the moment; the chili can wait and so can the texting. Me included. Heck if I’m hungry, someone maybe trying to offer me a free chicken dinner or give me a voucher to get my on and I can’t receive it while texting. Seriously, we can learn a lot from others stories, experiences, and failures if we allow them to share and we just listen.
- Stay Flexible. So what if your team didn’t win, it doesn’t mean there is not a reason to celebrate. Celebrate getting them next time; celebrate losing $50 on the bet instead of $100. Celebrate you can learn a new lesson, explore a new fact, and get excited about the possibilities. Those of us served in the Air Force., ‘flexibility is the key to air power”
- Follow your own Dreams—all of them. As Kenny Rogers, The Gambler said,
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done
Is knowin' what to throw away and knowing what to keep
- Don’t worry. Because you got started, your change is gonna come. Because you got moving, you can be the change you want to see.